What Is Leadership Foundations?
New leaders regularly report they are overwhelmed and underprepared for their leadership role. Managers are often thrust into their role because they are great at their specific job; however, they lack the necessary foundational knowledge and skills to lead people. This leadership development program is focused on the “how to’s” of leadership. Leadership Foundations is designed to give new or future leaders the knowledge and practical tools they need to be prepared for their leadership role.
Every session ends with a commitment from each participant to start one new leadership behavior and stop one non-leadership behavior. Participants will be assigned a partner to hold each other accountable in applying the concepts learned. Supervisors of participants will be provided coaching forms to help them ask key questions to reinforce what is being learned. Participants will walk away with a tailored development plan to continue their leadership journey.
Who is it for?
What You Will Learn
This training is delivered in 3-hour sessions virtually for six weeks, or in 4-hour sessions delivered in person over five weeks. In these sessions you will cover:
- Leadership 101: What Is Leadership and What Kind of Leader Are YOU? Participants will learn a concrete definition of leadership and the behaviors that contribute to or take away from their ability to lead. This session includes an individual assessment, giving participants insight into their own leadership tendencies, strengths, and challenges. The information from this assessment will continue to illuminate these strengths and challenges throughout the program and help create individualized action plans for each participant.
- Developing, Empowering, and Motivating People: The Key to Employee Engagement and Retention. Participants will learn how to assess the development needs and create development plans for their team. Participants will be given a guide to having great one-on-ones which leave their employees with clarity, focus, motivation, and feeling empowered. Participants will identify key coaching questions to ask and how to give feedback that is clear and supportive.
- Creating a Cohesive Team: Developing the Key Traits of an Effective Team. Participants will learn how to hire the right people and how to develop a cohesive team. Participants will be able to identify the five key factors of a healthy team and have the tools to develop these five traits in their team. Participants will learn how to create a team who trusts one another, holds each other accountable, and is committed to a shared goal.
- Decisive Problem-Solving: How to Make Smart Decisions. Participants will develop the ability to be a decisive leader. In this session participants will learn a four-step process for decision-making and critical thinking. This framework will help participants identify common mistakes and their own challenges when making decisions. Participants will apply this model using real life scenarios faced by leaders in similar positions.
- HR Essentials for Managers: Understanding Key HR Policies for Workplace Excellence. New leaders need a working knowledge of important policies and procedures to help support human resources. With leadership comes great responsibility; participants will be able to identify key workplace policies and assist HR in the pursuit of creating a safe and law compliant workplace. Participants will understand key policies to be mindful of, such as discrimination and harassment, what is reasonable accommodation, Equal Employment Opportunity practices, and how and when to involve HR when compliance issues arise.
Post training: Leaders Never Stop Learning
- Creating a Personal Development Plan for the Leadership Journey: The greatest leaders never stop learning. The training sessions will wrap up with participants evaluating all tools and principles learned and developing a personal plan to continue to grow in their leadership skills.
Benefits of Leadership Foundations
There are many benefits to bringing Leadership Foundations into your workplace, such as:
Gain personal understanding of your own leadership: This training will explore each participant’s tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses in a leadership role. It requires participants to choose one new behavior to start, one to stop, and one to continue at the end of each session.
Lead effective one-on-ones: This training will help you think critically, make smart decisions, and lead effective one-on-ones with a clear purpose and outcome.
Lead to drive results: Participants will gain tools to create a scoreboard which will help those they lead know they are winning and achieving results.
Better employee retention: Employees who feel connected to and appreciated by their direct supervisors are more motivated, have higher engagement, and are less likely to leave the company for another opportunity.
Increased engagement: Workers who feel appreciated and engaged in their work are more likely to work harder and produce better results. Leadership Foundations helps to increase engagement both in leaders and in those they are leading.
Sign Up Now
This training offers 15 credits
This training offers 15 credits
In Person Training
In Person Training Program Details
In person training takes place at the Frontline Training Solutions training center in Grand Rapids, MI. Class sizes are limited to 20 participants so that interaction and learning are maximized.
Leadership Foundations in person training includes:
- 15 hours of leadership training and application
- Participant workbook and all training materials
- Action plans
- Coaching forms provided to supervisors of attendees to facilitate continuous development
- Snacks and drinks are provided
Format: Five 4-hour sessions delivered in person over five weeks.
Location: 1760 44th Street SW, Suite 10, Grand Rapids, MI 49519
If you have any questions, need help registering, or would like to be invoiced for this event, please contact: Alec McGuire, Training & Event Coordinator at (616) 608-9684 or Alec.McGuire@ExpressPros.com.
- September 9 – September 30 | Fridays | 1:00pm – 5:00pm (EST)
- November 8 – December 7 | Tuesdays | 8:00am – 12:00pm (EST)
- January 9 – February 6 | Mondays | 1:00pm – 5:00pm (EST)
- March 22 – April 26 | Wednesdays | 1:00pm – 5:00pm (EST)
- May 17 – June 14 | Wednesdays | 1:00pm – 5:00pm (EST)
- August 31 – September 28 | Thursdays | 1:00pm – 5:00pm (EST)
We offer customized training, both in person and virtual, for teams across the country. If you’d like a customized training on Leadership Foundations for your team, contact us today.
My team has actually noticed a difference. They are setting daily goals for themselves. Along with that they recently went through the time management class Express offered. I’ve used some of the interview questions from class. My 1:1’s are more productive and I’m working on stating my intent more clearly to my team.
Merrilee K, AR/AP Supervisor
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
This training focuses on the people side of leadership and is targeted towards those in administrative & professional settings. Supervisor Boot Camp is targeted towards those in manufacturing or industrial management settings and focuses more on the operational leadership practices in these contexts.
Our Supervisor Boot Camp training provides the practical tools, tips, and techniques necessary for your frontline management to thrive in the day-to-day battle of frontline leadership.