What Is Courageous Conversations?
This training will introduce radical candor as a model to find the sweet spot between being either too aggressive or too passive in courageous conversations. Knowing how to be candid with care builds trust in manager/report relationships, empowers employees to focus on issues, and creates a culture of open communication. Participants will walk away understanding where their natural tendencies in courageous conversations are, the barriers that keep them from being fully candid, and the impact when we use radical candor.
Who is it for?
What You Will Learn
This 6-hour training takes place in two 3-hour sessions virtually or one 6-hour session in person. In these sessions you will cover:
- What Is a Courageous Conversation: A courageous conversation is defined as the courage to have a meaningful conversation that leads to progress. In this training participants will explore this definition and contrast this to the idea of “difficult conversations”.
- The Radical Candor Model: Participants will explore the four quadrant radical candor model to understand their own tendencies in courageous conversations, and how to have the right balance of care for others and directness to achieve the best results in their courageous conversations.
- Six Steps to Courageous Conversations: When it comes to courageous conversations, following a process is key. Participants will learn a proven six step process to follow when facing any challenging conversation.
- Steps to Receiving Feedback: If you are having a courageous conversation with others and giving feedback it is equally as important to be able to receive feedback well when it is presented to you. Rather than taking an emotional response, participants will learn a four step process to follow whenever a coworker shares feedback with them.
Benefits of Courageous Conversations
There are many benefits to bringing Courageous Conversations into your workplace, such as:
Create Better Outcomes from "Feedback" Conversations: People often avoid conversations where they need to deliver feedback to someone else, or they approach the conversation in the wrong way and outcome is less than ideal. When participants begin following the courageous conversations approach they stop avoiding these conversations and begin to deliver feedback in way where it is received better and acted upon.
Create a culture of positive feedback: We believe positive feedback is anything that can help an individual or organization be better. When your team applies the principles of courageous conversation and receiving feedback, it can create a culture of feedback which propels your entire organization to the next level.
Increased self-awareness: Participants will explore their own tendencies when it comes to courageous conversations. This will increase their self-awareness and allow them to flex towards a more effective style.
Sign Up Now
This training offers 6 credits
This training offers 6 credits
In Person Training
In Person Training Program Details
In person training takes place at the Frontline Training Solutions training center in Grand Rapids, MI. Class sizes are limited to 20 participants so that interaction and learning are maximized.
Courageous Conversations in person training includes:
- 6 hours of training and activities
- Training workbook, templates, and tools
Format: One 6-hour session delivered in person.
Location: 1760 44th Street SW, Suite 10, Grand Rapids, MI 49519
If you have any questions, need help registering, or would like to be invoiced for this event, please contact: Alec McGuire, Training & Event Coordinator at (616) 608-9684 or Alec.McGuire@ExpressPros.com.
- November 9 | Wednesday | 9:00am – 3:00pm (EST)
- April 24 | Monday | 9:00am – 3:00pm (EST)
- November 3 | Friday | 9:00am – 3:00pm (EST)
We offer customized training, both in person and virtual, for teams across the country. If you’d like a customized training on Courageous Conversations for your team, contact us today.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
You are not alone. In fact, most people are very uncomfortable with holding challenging conversations. Therefore, we work hard to understand the barriers that get in the way of making these conversations more productive including, removing drama and ego, and sticking to the issue. Just like any skill, you will get more comfortable with practice and experience. This training doesn’t just teach the concepts you need, participants will also get practice through activities during the training experience.
Working Better Together is an in-depth training that utilizes the DiSC assessment, to give employees the ability to build more productive and effective relationships at work.
Take conflict from being a workplace dread, to an asset. Transforming Workplace Conflict helps learners curb destructive behaviors in the moment so conflict can become more productive.